Thursday, May 27, 2010

Genghis Khan Exhibit

We were so lucky to be able to visit the Genghis Khan Exhibit at the Tech Museum in San Jose. The exhibit highlighted both his military campaigns and his establishment of the Mongol empire. It was interesting to see his statesmen side. The kids also really enjoyed seeing his family tree (especially his link to the Kublai Khan who Marco Polo explored for).

Being the ruler he was, Genghis required his visitors to bow at his feet. Of course all of the older kids thought that was hilarious and gladly complied. (If it is so much fun, maybe I should have them bow at my feet when asking for rides, parties, money.... jk)



I was also pleased to see a hands on excavation site for the kids to dig in. They had some beautiful replicas in the 'dirt' which fueled the archeological excitement!

Overall, I was impressed with this exhibit. They balanced weapons with Imperial costumes in an engaging way so all that attended were interested. There were also only a few things behind glass which also made it feel more personal. The informational movies were also just the right length to give the 'must know all the details 12 year old girl' and short enough for the 'how long do I have to sit' 6 year old boy. My kids and I (especially the girls) enjoyed it a lot more than we expected.




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Contributors