It doesn't help that being city dwellers A LOT of people allow their children to have guinea pigs and rabbits. One of these friends was going to Japan for 3 weeks and my 'helpful' children offered to baby sit their 4 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits while they were away. (No that wasn't a typo- 6 all together).
Although I wasn't excited, I felt this would be a good 'test run' . Although most teachers who know that their students aren't ready wait for a huge project- as a parent I looked at it as more of a 'learning to walk' moment. I knew they weren't ready to 'stand on their own' (let alone walk) but I appreciated their determination to try.
We will just say that we all learned A LOT. Those were the most loved animals. (In fact the mom said that once the animals got back to her place they would call out to her and the kids all the time. She said it was obvious they were well loved and given a PILE of attention because of how lonely the animals were once they got home.)
I do have to say though that it has helped me see that my kids do need an animal to love. I need an animal that doesn't have to be carried around (and can go to the bathroom outside....... my school room smelled like a farm). I am closer to letting them have a dog than I was a month ago..... but need to finish up potty training my 2 year old before I embark on another big adventure.


1 comment:
You're brave Delyna! We've told Thomas he can have a dog when a)we're in a house with a yard for the dog (no inside animals) and b)he has to feed it and pick up all the poo. Needless to say, we are years away! *I had a dog and a rabbit in my backyard when I was a kid, and they used to take naps together and keep each other company...kind of funny.
Post a Comment