Saturday, February 6, 2010

Presidential Creativity.

Sunday Dinner. Kevin and I had a meeting that we had to be at so we got a sit down meal on the table as quickly as we could. I have a lot of educational place-mats (I figure if you are going to be waiting for your meal, you might as well learn something). The 'meal' (I use the term loosely, I should really say the 'food'- meal makes it sound a lot more substantial than it was) was quickly put on the table and we were ready to eat. Alex was busy doing something and asked us to wait.

Trying to hurry him along, he explained to us that he had a few more to do. A few more to do? Finally I decided what was holding the process up. I went over and he showed me that he was putting spaghetti hair, beards and mustaches on the presidents. It cracked me up.

There have been a few other 'Alexism' recently as well. Last week we dropped off Madison and Payton at SLAC (Kevin's work) to sell Girl Scout cookies. As we were pulling away Alex yelled that we need to wait, he needed to tell them something. I rolled down the window and he yelled, "Madison and Payton! Watch out for wolves!" "Wolves?" I asked to make sure I had heard properly. "Yes wolves mom, they might attack the girls if they saw them." They thanked him for the warning and left it at that.

My most recent favorite Alexism was when we were waiting in the car for the girls. I had put on a movie for Alex and Ashton to watch. Alex was sitting right behind the passengers seat which had been reclined. He wedged his toes in between the head rest and the seat and then turned to me and said, "Mom can you put the seat up really fast?"
"Umm, why Alex?"

"I want to see if it will launch me." Just living in the moment I found amusement in the fact that he didn't even think about what would happen if it actually did launch him. Rather than explain to him that he would painfully hit the windshield, we talked about how the seat wouldn't have enough power to 'launch' him. I threw in that it was something that you would need to do outside and you would need to make sure it was safe but I think I lost him at 'it wouldn't have enough power'. I did my duty without laughing. He provides my life with constant amusement.

He also makes me 'think' at times when it is pretty difficult. For lunch the other day he asked me how big the nuggets were? How many inches he said. I looked at them and told him about 2 inches. "I'll have 16 inches of nuggets please". Lunch rush isn't my favorite time to do multiplication of nuggets.

The most painful thing he has done for my brain was to change my alarm clock by my bed. I told him that it made it difficult for me to know what time it was. "But why mom, it's easy, all you have to do is add 17.... ". How do you explain to a 6 year old boy that mom's brain can barely identify that is an alarm clock, let alone try to use a mathematical equation to figure how much longer she has to sleep. His apology, "Sorry mom, I thought it would be fun."

I love that little boy and am fascinated with how that little brain of his works, and believe me it is always working. :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Nuggets closer to one inch and it's more division. (Well, actually).

Delyna said...

Well actually.... they were snowflake nuggets and they were two inches. (We may have to wait until next winter for me to prove that one to you.....but trust me, I'm right) The problem can be approached 2 different ways... as long as I show my work I get it right- Alex double checked my work! :) (Thank you very much Mr. Professor!)

Kevin said...

I've been wrong before. I'll be wrong again...

Contributors