Saturday, October 3, 2009
Harvest Day at Emma Prush Park
Madison had a Girl Scout Event so Payton thought it would be fun if she and I went to Harvest Day at Emma Prush Park. Our timing was perfect. We went late in the afternoon and were able to get a parking spot right near the front (yes, I went into that lot even thought there were signs saying 'lot full'. There were just so many cars coming out.... I am a parking rebel I guess). There were very few lines and we were able to see almost everything.
Emma Prush donated her family's land to the City of San Jose. The farm is really close to us (right by 'my' Target actually). It is weird having a farm right in the middle of a very densely populated city. It is a wonderful resource which we have been neglecting.
4H had a big presence there. Now where I come from (Alberta) only the farm kids did 4H. We know so many, many people here in California who do 4H. In addition to the animals, they also have all kinds of interest projects (Lego robotics, woodworking, cake decorating- the list goes on and on...) My girls want to get rabbits (or guinea pigs) to show at the events. We are still working on the 'proving responsibility' before taking on another living thing (I did allow plants in the backyard- but the maintenance is much lower- especially now that the rain has started- AND the devastation is much much less if mom doesn't pick up the slack and help feed the living thing.... )
We were also excited to start seeing first glimpses of the leaves changing. I am always having my kids stop and look at colored leaves when ever I find them. That is the one thing I miss terribly from Canada is the spectacular fall color display. I made Payton pose beside the patch of colored leaves at Emma Prush. What a good sport. Another neat thing about living in California is some of the 'snacks' that are available. Payton chose a mango on a stick for her snack. I can't imagine taking that much time to peel it, and then carve it into a flower-type thing... but they do. It was delicious.
I had a great afternoon hanging out with Payton. Thanks for the date girl!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I was at a beach and a fine one at that there where alot of sand$$$! herd to mind though it took about 1/2 and hour per sand $$$ atlease.
Post a Comment