Monday, October 12, 2009
Tree Restoration Project
Monday we had the opportunity to go to Santa Cruz and participate in a tree restoration project. Natural Bridges State Park is on the route for the Monarch Butterfly migration. Being a state park, they don't have sprinkler systems or other fancy watering devices. They found that when the trees weren't watered by hand, many of them died. They rely on volunteers to help water the trees in the grove.
The Ranger had the kids fill milk jugs full of water and carry them down into the grove. All of the kids were so excited to be helped. Even little Ashton filled and carried her own (with a little help) :)
The butterflies are just beginning their migration. There were only a few there but I was excited to see how amazed Alex and Ashton were. I can't wait to bring them back in a month or two when there are thousands and thousands of Monarchs.
I don't know if I will ever get used to being so close to the Ocean. Alex begged and begged to have us go down and spend some time on the beach. The only down side was that our first winter storm was coming in and it was incredibly windy. I made sure he got some time on the beach. I love to see him happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I so wished we lived close again. You always have amazing activities, and I'd love to tag along! I'm finding more things to do in Ottawa, but unfortunately many of them are beyond our budget =(. We're enjoying the simple things though too =).
Yeah, the budget. Thing are super tight for us right now too. I think it is that first year of getting through a big move and purchasing a house. (That is what I am telling myself anyway- I can do this for a year....). We have gone back to the simple (aka FREE) things as well. I am calling myself a 'frugalista' (I hear it's in) :)
Post a Comment