Friday, October 3, 2008

Saved From the Storm


Today we went to a special exhibit called "Saved From the Storm" at the Cantor Museum at Stanford. I hope I never get to the point where I take the opportunities, that are available to us here in the Bay Area for granted. I really feel it is a privilege to be able to see original masterpieces. The Cantor has been housing the exhibit of paintings that were saved from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

They had a good sampling of the Impressionists and a few of the later ones (like Cubists). Some of the artists were Monet, Picasso, Matisse, Cassatt, Degas, Kandinsky and many more. I loved being able to walk through it with the girls and have them be able to tell me who had painted it before we got to the name plaques. They commented on brush strokes, color, styles, period. It was amazing (and of course I was beaming with pride). It was also fun to have children's perspectives (I can feel the 'cold coming through this painting')

I think the painting that left the biggest impression on my girls was the one of Marie Antoinette. Both the subject and the physical painting itself had such a presence. It is huge. If I had brought my camera (in my rush to finish up teaching a class, switch out kids from another, and get Alex to his class, I forgot my camera) this is where the girls said they would have liked their pictures taken. To give you perspective they probably would have come up to Marie's floor cushion.

The exhibit is done on Sunday (yes, I left it to the last minute.... but I did get there!) If anyone has the time to take a look I would recommend it. Just another perk of living in the Bay Area.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a great opportunity for you guys! I know you though, you would find wonderful things to do no matter where you lived!

Contributors