Friday, March 5, 2010

Santa Lucia


In Payton's American Girl Club each girl gives a presentation about one of the books. Payton was so excited because she was able to do the Christmas book for her presentation. As part of their Swedish heritage, Kristin's family celebrated Santa Lucia Day which starts off the Christmas Season.

Payton thoroughly enjoyed the research and preparation that she did for her presentation. We remembered that some good family friends had celebrated Santa Lucia Day in the past. They had the doll Kirsten with her Santa Lucia outfit AND the girl's Santa Lucia outfit which fit Payton perfectly. That was the icing on the cake for Payton. (Here is the end result- Payton just before she is going to give her presentation. I should note that Kevin drove Payton to Tracy which is an hour away to pick up the doll and costumes- but seeing the look on her face it was all worth it!)

One of Payton's many gifts is that of cooking. She researched different foods eaten for Santa Lucia and decided which ones she wanted to make. Of course she made the traditional bread (without the traditional cardamom spice that is $15 a bottle- cinnamon gets the point across in my books) and fruit gummies instead of candied cherries (which are just sick and wrong).

She also found a great recipe for Brysell cookies which are basically butter, powdered sugar and walnuts. Being her 'royal' taste tester I have to say they were pretty good. Now while this all sounds amazing I need you to know that Payton did all of this by herself. I had a Doctors appointment that morning and when I got home Payton had the bread dough made and rising just as she was taking her last batch of Brysell cookies out of the oven. I was pretty amazed.

I was also pretty amazed at the disaster that my kitchen was left in! (Only a portion shown here). Another bonus was that many of the drawers were left open during the flurry of activity gracing them all with powdered sugar and flour. Truthfully I was a little rough after the Dr's appointment and I was just grateful for the bulk of the work to be done. (BTW I asked who gave her permission to bake and she told me she had asked Dad. Fair enough. Next time, I need to change that rule from simply asking permission to making sure his eyes are open when he gives his consent! Mind you I doubt the answer would be any different- especially if cookies are involved!!)




Here is Payton's poster that she made. Payton said that the best thing about Santa Lucia was that her dowry was given to the poor when she wouldn't marry the pagan. (Yes, she used the word pagan). I am so proud of all the research she put into her presentation. She practiced and practiced. Way to go Payton.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVED the american girl dolls and their books when I was Payton's age! I still have everything from Samantha and Felicity packed away in a trunk that better not be growing mold, hey this stuff is valuable!

Did you know you can buy cardamom at persian grocery stores for cheap? I got a packet of it for $1.50 about 2 years ago.

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing project! I'm so proud and impressed Payton!

Contributors