Saturday, June 13, 2009

Camporee


My co-leader and I took the girls to the Service Unit's Camporee: "Indiana Jane". It was fun spending time with the girls. Spending the day together really can bring them out of their shell. One of the girls who rarely speaks in our meeting turned out to be quite a chatterbox. I loved seeing the girls let down their barriers and enjoy themselves.

I have an amazing and talented co-leader who thinks of everything. Even though we were day camping she brought a little tent for the girls to put up. The girls worked together and got it up. They actually used that tent a lot more than I expected. It was fun for them to have a place to go. They used it for games, stories songs.

Because we were day campers, the Service Unit forgot that we were supposed to have a campsite. They were very apologetic and let us pitch our tent (yes you can see it in the middle of it all) right by the main dining hall. While we were very conspicuous, it was nice to have a campsite close to everything (especially when one of us forgot something).

The camp was organized and run by the Cadettes as part of their leadership hours. They had a lot of fun kid oriented activities. A great obstacle course that required team work and communication. It was so great to see they older girls work on the patience and organization that it take to do things with younger kids. What great experience for them.




The Cadettes organized a campfire complete with smores. They gave the girls detailed instructions helped them learn fire safety tips. One very important fact I learned was why they always have a stick in their bucket of water that is kept beside the fire. Any ideas? If any insects fall in, they can climb out. It made me laugh. I had no idea.

Our girls love to sing so they of course performed several songs around the campfire. It was so great to see them up there singing their hearts out. They did a great job.



It was a great day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Contributors