Thursday, June 4, 2009

Egyptian Museum

Today we took a "break" from the craziness (of moving anyway) to go to the Egyptian Museum. We went with a few other families and had a great time. Ashton was very, very busy. I actually was a little shocked at just how busy she became at the museum. She even picked up one of the "Do No Touch" signs and handed it to me....... (talk about a complete disregard for authority.... )

I of course blame myself for not adequately preparing.... (I actually just found out that we were going at 11 and they were meeting at 12... I was training my replacement at work at the time.... luckily I had ran to Safeway to get Lunchables early that morning..... )

We survived but I do admit that was one of the hardest museum tours I have had to do. She just wanted to climb and climb and climb. For some reason, docents don't like kids climbing on their 'replicas'..... not sure what their prob is... :)








The museum has a lot of neat things (and a real mummified person). Their replicas look almost authentic. It is a great place to take your kids (although after today I think I would like to go just once by myself or with another adult so I can actually read more than the titles and the 'Do Not Touch Signs'. :)

Madison and Payton were able to attend a Planetarium Show and a Hieroglyphics class which they really enjoyed. Ashton, Alex and I played our own version of Senet (which felt strangely like an Egyptian version of Mario and Candyland..... ) and then walked around the "Peace Gardens" (we'll just say they weren't quite as peaceful when we were there). I was so tired by the end of this visit, I almost had to laugh. Will definitely think the whole Ashton perspective through differently next time. I may get out that backpack again...


There are two things there that I think are really neat. There a replica of the Code of Hammurabi and a replica of the Rosetta Stone. I actually was more impressed by the Rosetta Stone replica prior to this last visit. It was on this visit that my baby made we aware (by trying to lift it off the wall) that it is actually just plastic. It looked like a real piece of stone...... Guess I am naive. Thanks for taking those blinders off my eyes Ashton (on so many levels) :)

I also need to say a special thank you to Madison who manned (or 'womanned' as she would want me to say) the camera while I chased, and chased, and chased and chased......

(P.S. for those of you who are the 'squished penny collectors' the Egyptian Museum has a choice of 3 different ones)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Contributors