Thursday, June 11, 2009

Talents?


I was reading a blog of one of my friends from college. This girl was so talented and so much fun. We were always laughing and having a great time. She could play the piano, the flute, sing beautifully and was one of those great idea people. She oozed talent.

In her blog she talked about how her RS President wanted to do a talent show for the women in the ward. It caused her to reflect on all of the things she used to do and what she does now caring for her 5 children in Montana. For her talent she took a basket of laundry with a sign that said "I can turn this" then with another basket folded and clean "into this". Quite a few women got offended, which wasn't her intent. She explained the satisfaction of taking the chaos of laundry and turning it into clean order for her family.

There is such a peace and satisfaction in creating a well run home. That sounds so 1950s but I really believe it. (Makes me wonder what my college self would do if we met each other today). There is so much more planning, executing (of the plan, not the children), HR, PR, etc, etc, etc with running a home. To say we are the CEO's of our family is an understatement. Once you recognize the actual 'position' and responsibilities of motherhood, you never be able to say "just a mom" again. I never thought I would feel so much satisfaction on keeping my family running.

The other day I decided to begin working on the stove at the new house. We were going to buy all new stop top stuff- but it is a special order and time (and maybe money) have prevented us from doing it. I decided I would see what I could do. I went to two different Targets and a Safeway to try and find that "Easy Off" stuff. No one had it. (Do they make it anymore?- I am sure the chemicals from that alone have depleted a level or two of the ozone). I decided that it would be better not to use it with the kids around anyway. Then I began whittling away on the worst part of the stove. I would do just a few minutes at a time. (I always tell my kids you can eat an elephant, one bite a time)

By the end I was actually shocked at the result. I had done it. It looked brand new. I am still a little shocked. I started on the worst of the two. I had done it. Sounds so silly but I was so proud so I took a picture. Another job well done. These are the things we do day to day minute to minute that we forget to put in our talent categories.

I had to laugh during the election when people were saying the Sarah Palin didn't have enough experience to be VP. "Any one who has had to negotiate with a 3 year old," I replied, "is more than qualified to take on the Russian President." Maybe someday the world will realize all that being a mom has added to our resumes. Until that time I will quietly work on defusing WWIII in my living room! :)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Amy said...

Why on earth would women get offended? Sometimes people take themselves way too seriously. And honestly, anyone who has had to go without clean and orderly clothes knows what a talent it is to be able to make them wearable again within a small timeframe! I applaud your friend. (and go you for cleaning your stove---I bet you have the best feeling when you use it now!)

M Reil said...

to bad you didn't do this when the little things between the tile in the kitchen where brown then you could really boast! =)

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites. I believe what you are saying--it's just this morning I feel so completely untalented (you should see my laundry!) Maybe those women at church were offended because they were jealous of how beautiful her laundry looked. Such a great post. Your posts should be on CEO mom. You are seriously the most talented mom I know.

EvE said...

SWEET! That stove looks AWESOME! What did you use? It is amazing what we can do in little bits and pieces!

Jennifer said...

I L-O-V-E this post! Moms rock!

Contributors